Thursday 23 June 2016

Achieve and Succeed

Typically someone at my age, (23 years old), would probably either be graduating from university or college, or currently in university or college and working a part time job. People around my age are really into partying, clubbing and staying out late.

At 23 years old, I am doing none of that. I actually decided not to attend university/college. For many different reasons. After graduating high school, I decided to take a year off. I had a very stressful time in high school all the way until graduation. So, I was in no mood to jump into school AGAIN, when I just got out of hell. At least it felt like hell. But as the year passed, I didn't know what I wanted to even study. I thought about accounting, maybe criminology (this was because of all the binge watching of Criminal Minds), possibly graphic design, or dental technician like my mom and my grandpa. And when I did apply, like I said in my previous post, something always went wrong. My plan in gr.11/gr.12 was to get into UBC or SFU and get into business/accounting. Then I'll graduate with an accounting degree and then I'll start working as an accountant somewhere. After that I'll take this accounting test (sorry, I forgot the name of it) and become a CFO. But, because I decided to transfer to a different school in a different city for my gr.12 year. My grade drastically suffered in my gr.12 year, which is of course, the most important year for your grades. I got rejected by UBC and SFU and so that first plan was out the window. My second plan, was to get into graphic design. I'm good at art, and I have a creative mind, graphic design could be the career for me. So I looked into different art institute and applied to one, LaSalle International Art College in Vancouver. But with my luck, or could be the heavens above giving me a sign, something went wrong. My first plan of getting into the IDEA program in Capilano, was out the window. Then my plan B was LaSalle. Graduate with a graphic design diploma/certificate from there then start working as a graphic designer or a story board artist. But the year I applied was just not a good year, I guess. LaSalle is known for a small classroom, so students have that one on one with the teacher guidance. The year I applied, they couldn't get enough students enrolled. Min classroom size is 5 students. They had 4 students that did apply and were interested but they were all international students and that year, there was a big issue going on with Visa and immigrations. They all got rejected entrance into Canada, which means I was the only student in that class that year, so they deferred me to Winter session. As the Winter session rolled around, same thing happened, couldn't get 4 more students enrolled. So I pulled out. I took it as heavens above telling me, this is not for me.

But all in the meanwhile I just kept working. My very first job was at the famous McDonalds back in high school. Then after graduating high school, worked part time at Michaels as a cashier. Then worked as a barista at a coffee shop, moved on to doing door to door fundraising for a short period of time. Honestly though, I learned a lot from that job and about myself. That was the pivoting point for me. It forced me to get out of my comfort zone and do something normally, I am not comfortable with. And gained more self confidence in myself and had no issues talking to strangers. I got a great opportunity to work as a receptionist/administrative assistant at a start up medical clinic. Which all snowballed into working at a property management company, and now at a hospital.
So, even though schooling never worked out for me, I guess it honestly didn't even matter. I still ended up with a great job, that pays really well, with medical and dental benefits and union job too, which means job security. Of course, working at Rogers Arena part time had a lot of perks as well. Got to meet great people, and of course the NHL players. I also got to meet Mark Donnelly, the guy who sings Oh Canada anthem at the arena. I met Hannah Bernard , the host for Canucks TV. I met John Shorthouse and John Garret, the Canucks commentators. I met Joey Kanward, the Canucks players interviewer/host. Ran into Trevor Linden once. And best of all finally got to meet my favourite NHL player, Roberto Luongo!!

I'm very thankful that, even though I choice to taken a different route then other people, I'm going down a successful path either way. I may be doing it my way, but it's working. It was always my dream plan, to skip paying $30,000-40,000 for college/university and instead work, and work my way up to the top. I value experience over a piece of paper that says: You Can Do It! A very expensive piece of paper for that matter.

Yeah, I didn't get the "college experience". I never been in a sorority, never been to a frat party. And yeah, I choose to stay home or work on a Friday night or Saturday night then go out and party and stay out late.

It was also a life goal of mine, to one way own my own place and not ever rent. And ladies and gents, that goal is very close to becoming a reality. By next year of Spring-Summer 2017, I will be purchasing my very own apartment. And not just any apartment. It will be a brand new apartment, (not yet built) so a pre-sale building. But when I do move in, it'll be brand spanking new.
It's one of my proudest accomplishments.
And no, I don't have rich parents or a rich family. I am not a trust fund kid. The money I have saved up is from working my ass off. It's from not spending my money on things I don't need. It's because I was cheap and stingy. Anything I did buy, it was on sale or it was at cheap places. I also got involved with investments through my bank and savings account and etc. Finding ways to make my hard earned money grow bigger. I put a lot of sweat and tears into working this hard.
Living in Lower Mainland isn't cheap. In any other city outside of the Lower Mainland, having just one full time job would be enough to live alone. But not in Vancouver. If you crunch your numbers, you need a part time job too. If you want to live comfortably, that is.

But either way, I am looking forward to becoming a first time home buyer! But until that day, I will still be working hard. My motto: I rather work then do nothing or play. I have plenty of time when I'm older to have fun, or travel. I don't need to do it now. While I'm young and have the energy, I'll work as much as I can so later on I won't need to as much.

To anybody out there, who didn't go to college/university for whatever reason. (can't afford it, or got rejected cause of your grades, or etc) I want to tell you, it's okay. You can still achieve and succeed. As long as you are confident in your abilities, and you really put your best foot forward and show that you can do anything that someone with a college certificate can. Don't ever doubt yourself, and how much you are capable of doing. When life closes a door on you, another door will open, sometimes it will take some time. Everybody's path in life is different, you don't need to take the same path everybody else is taking, just do you.

Just Be You!

No comments:

Post a Comment